Code of Conduct
ChordsofFreedom.com members will not:
- post stories or comments with an explicitly commercial purpose (including spam and link spam);
- plagiarize the work of others, fail to acknowledge source material, or use images that belong to others without their permission;
- abuse, threaten or verbally attack other members, individuals, or ChordsofFreedom.com staff. You know how bullies work. We’ll do our best to spot them and get rid of them;
- post libelous, obscene or pornographic material or content that contains racist, sexist, homophobic and other slurs;
- deliberately post stories that are untrue, false, or misleading, that impersonate someone else
- or that make false representations about the poster him/herself;
- or break the law in pursuit of, or during, the composition or capture of a story, photo or video.
ChordsofFreedom.com members will:
- be accountable for stories they post and follow up by correcting known errors;
- resist attacks, insults and threats and instead remain civil and focused on the ideas being presented rather than the individuals expressing them;
- promote interactivity and dialogue that supports real community collaboration.
ChordsofFreedom.com’s Anti-Flaming/Baiting Policy:
“Flaming is the hostile and insulting interaction between Internet users. An Internet user typically generates a flame response to other posts or users posting on a site, and is usually not constructive, does not clarify a discussion, and does not persuade others. Sometimes, flamers attempt to assert their authority, or establish a position of superiority over other users.”
Flamers tend to end conversations by entering them; they create a hostile environment in which real discourse is quashed in favor of insults and abuse. We do not stand for flaming as our Terms of Service make clear. For ChordsofFreedom.com’s purposes, flaming is most prevalent in comments and in the forum. Deciding who is or isn’t a flamer, and how that contributor will be handled, is at the final and sole discretion of ChordsofFreedom.com staff.
It all comes down to Common Sense and Common Ground. Once a user has been pinpointed as a flamer, (one or more instances of obvious flaming, and/or reported flaming from other site users) we:
- send the user a warning indicating that they’re at risk of forfeiting their membership. Sometimes we may also or instead post a comment in the thread;
- observe the user for signs of reform or response. Should the user reform or respond and apologize, they will be given another chance;
- Should he or she ignore staff or continue the behavior, we will revoke his/her status or block the account.
ChordsofFreedom.com is a community that values intelligence and openness. Our users need not subscribe to hate speech, abusive or inflammatory behavior in order to get a point across. You are a member of a community that is more than willing to support and elevate you and your work if you command respect. Remember the golden rule: Treat others as you wish to be treated.